Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blog Post #14

Teacher Knows if You Have Done the E Reading

E readers

Texas A&M has several professors using e-readers. These special text books allow the professors to see when the text book is open, when notes are taken, and when things are highlighted. This is the students "engagement index." Things can be noticed by professors like if a student making good grades only opens their book once before the test. This could show a student needs to improve studying habits instead of cramming. A "c" student can be given their index and realize their priorities may need to be different. These books are called CourseSmart. They also provide information for book companies and help them make new editions. There is also a downfall to this system. A student could easily just leave there book open or game their highlighting to raise there scores. Also, a student with good grades may have a low index only because they take notes on paper.

As a teacher I am amazed at this new technology. If I didn't have too, I would not tell my class I could see their index. I could get a general sense of how my class was. I would use this information ONLY to their advantage to help them if I could offer some study advice. I think their could be inaccurate results if I used this information for anything else!

If this applied to me now, I think I would feel more accountable for my study actions. I would just make sure I took notes in the text book for it to show up. The only thing I could see being a problem is how easy it would be to cheat. I am not a perfect student, so if I thought my index would be low I might would leave open my book. I feel though that I am in college so my study habits shouldn't be my teachers concern.

Questions to a Teacher
1. Do you use the engagement index in any type of grading?
2. Does the engagement index affect how you view your students?
3. Have you found any problems?

Questions for Students
1. Is your engagement index accurate for your study habits?
2. What is the downfall to the system?
3. Has this type of learning been helpful?

I would leave a comment on this blog thanking them for the information on this topic. I have never learned about it and I feel like it was very educating. I liked seeing the pros and cons on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment