Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blog Post #12

Dan Meyer
Real world math

My area of specialty is math, so that is what I created an assignment about!

I think math can be one of the most important subjects, but some students just can't understand why! The phrase, "This will never help me outside of this class," always comes up. I am very passionate about math and would hate my students to think this. Dan Meyer also strongly feels this way. He presents math lessons in real life scenarios to make them, "irrestible." Watch Dan Meyer on Real-World Math. Write an 1-2 paragraphs of how you can use his advice in your own classroom. You could apply this to any subjects. Also, feel free to research on him; he has MANY great videos.

Dan Meyers is obviously such a passionate teacher. I hope to be like this one day. Some things I learned in his video, were simply to put in the extra effort in teaching and maybe the students can put in the extra effort to learn! Dan Meyers has been a math teacher and that is also what I want to be! His first example was about shooting the ball into the net. He took videos of himself, and played them with different shot angles. I think this made it personal and more interesting for the students. I want to do things like this in my future classroom! He also recorded himself on an elevator, and made a problem out of it! He is definitely an inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jana,

    This is a great idea! I also love math and hate that so many students have such a difficult time with it. I absolutely loved the video! You are right, he is such an inspiration. This is exactly the sort of teacher I would love to be one day! I really liked the part about the students getting to see the result, not just assuming the answer is right because "the teacher says so." This video was so interesting and I do plan on researching him more! I think this would be an excellent blog post assignment because it is so intriguing.

    Great job,
    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete