Sunday, March 24, 2013

Blog Post #9

Mr. Joe McClung
learning is fun


Mr. McClung is a teacher who has written blog posts to reflect on his teaching career at the end of each school year. I decided to read What I've Learned This Year (2008-2009), and What I've Learned This Year (2011-2012) . I chose to read these two posts because they are from his first year teaching and then the most recent year he has taught. I wanted to compare them to see how his thoughts would change from being a brand new teacher, to one with more experience behind them. I also wanted to read his first one because I will soon be a new teacher and wanted to know his own adventures he went through!

I think I will be able to easily relate to Mr. McClung's first blog post. He was a new teacher and this was a completely new experience. I am grateful to have read this to already know some of this knowledge and be able to apply it instead of learning it the hard way. He broke down his blog into the following sections:

How to Read the Crowd
Mr. McClung talks about the importance of focusing teaching on the students and how they comprehend it, not the delivery. I think this is very important. While I want to do my best delivering it and showing other faculty members my delivery skills, I always will remember this is why I'm teaching, not to make myself look good but to help kids learn!

Be Flexible
I think this section will help me the most in my teaching career. I have to remember not everything is perfect and I will make mistakes. I just have to go with it and not freak out!


Communicate
Communication will be essential for my students, co-workers, and myself. I think there can be an answer for everything and it takes communication to reach that!

Be Reasonable
As a teacher I must remember to set standards for must students but with restrictions:
-Don't give unreachable goals
-Remember they are just children
-some goals may not be met
-If a students doesn't reach a goal, encourage them!

Don't be Afraid of Technology
I'm starting to see Dr. Strange's point EVERYWHERE, including here. I definitely won't be afraid after this class!


Listen to Your Students
This is key to a students teacher relationship and can be the most important! I want to be someone my students can look up to and talk too!

Lastly...Never Stop learning
I hope to never get "set in my ways." Not for me, but for my students sake. They deserve all the new learning ways and shouldn't be left behind!





The next post I read by Mr. McClung is from his most recent teaching year in 2011-2012. I can really tell how he has grown as a teacher. He has figured out his reputation and his place as a teacher. He also seems to remember everything he has learned in previous years and only grow more! In this blog posts he has two main sections:

You Gotta Dance With Who You Came to the Dance With
Mr. Mcclung stated that this year he struggled with how his peers thought of him. He knew how his students and superiors viewed him, but not his peers.I hope to always remember what Mr. McClung learned from this! He stated that nothing positive came from worrying about what his peers thought! I hope I can be like this. I want my co-workers respect but I will always work on developing relationships with my students and making sure my superiors know I am doing the best job possible!

Challenge Yourself
This is one thing that has not change about Mr. McClung in his four years. He always wants to change his ways and keep up the creativity and learning ways! I hope to also do this and become a better teacher each year!!

All the comments to Mr. McClung are very encouraging and supportive. Many left were even from students of EDM 310. I'm sure some of them are even teaching on their own now and using his advise!

3 comments:

  1. Thorough, thoughtful, well done! Nominated for post of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post Jana! It totally captured what Mr. McClung was trying to show future and current teachers. I couldn't agree more with you about how he was always trying to keep up the creativity and it is great that you want to do the same, that will be something to remember when we finally reach the classroom. Keep up the great posts and p.s. I love your background on this blog (Super colorful and fun)!!

    ReplyDelete