Sunday, March 10, 2013

Blog Post #8

1.Richard Miller
this is how we dream

Richard Miller's video, This is How We Dream, presents many great ideas and gave me a lot to think about. I am not sure I liked the way it was presented. I think it was a lot to listen to him fully, to watch and read the screen, and also to bring it all together. I do think though that what the message is completely true. Richard Miller believes that technology will play a huge role and change a classroom. He focuses on writing and reading.

Before taking this class I might have freaked out. Now, not so much. Why? Because I think Miller is exactly right. I think we have already changed though. We are flipping classrooms, using Smartboard, iPads, podcasts, and students are writing blogs. I would have never imaged half of the things that I have learned in this class. Without already being introduced to them I may have freaked out becoming a teacher and seeing all these rapid changes, but I think I will be fully prepared and have an open mind. I am willing to teach my children technology and let them learn other things for themselves. Miller talks about other places already putting this learning in place. I think we have too!

Miller also states, "Ideas shouldn't belong to us individually." I agree completely. As I know how important it is to give credit where credit is due, I also say
let students learn without this hassle sometimes! Everyone get's there ideas from somewhere. I don't think online learning should be all about citing your sources. I am excited to see how my role as a teacher will be!



2. Carly Pugh's blog post #12
I think Carly went along right with Richard Miller. I also loved that she had links to her videos that we could see. I think YouTube can be a great learning tool used in a classroom. This one even convinced me more about using multi-media with writing, because of her great examples!



3.The Chipper Series and Edm310 for dummies

The Chipper Series for dummies is hilarious! It basically is about things that MIGHT have gone through my mind at some point in the class, and basically makes me feel stupid for thinking it or doing it. Oops, maybe once I felt the need to highlight things on my checklist before it was finished, then procrastinated. I think all these thoughts have crossed our mind. I hate to say it but at the beginning of EDM310 I didn't watch this movie. I just now did. Dr. Strange, I think you should play this in one of the classes the first week!


I also firmly believe Edm310 for dummies should be shown the first week of classes! It is a life saver! I think I liked this video so much because I feel like it is making fun of myself. It also though serves a purpose to read EDM 310 for dummies. I think the other message is... It's ok to feel a little crazy and overwhelmed, everyone else has too but it gets better!


These videos do make me want to make my own! I think it could be kind of an ice breaker, while providing useful information. One idea that popped into my head is that after I'm teaching get completely honest feedback from students on a survey. I will say things like, What do you think was pointless in this class?, What bad habit hurt you the most in this class?, etc. I will then show on the video the benefits of everything and why my classroom is set up the way it is. I think it could also give my students the message... It is okay to feel how you are feeling, others did too and they never ave up!



4.Learn to change, change to learn

This video was many different people speaking about how we can no longer make students think technology is bad in a school but a chance to learn better. Students need all the technology they can get to thrive in the upcoming world they have before them. Students need to be shown how to use their cell phone, twiiter, and facebook for not only a social life but tools to learn. I agree with the arguments everyone in the video made but there must be boundaries.



Scavenger Hunt 2.0

I created a wikispace. I think it is important for students to be able to gain infomation, talk to students, and their teach after school hours. On something like a cell phone, it can be thought of as crossing the line. On wikispaces you can also share things like documents and video. I could post videos for my class to watch without them going on youtube!



I believe ANIMOTO wasI used to help create the presentation I saw. They have several prices. The first plan is free. This is only a 30 second video, but to just give it a try at first this would be great. The second plan is 2.50 a month and is billed 30 dollars anually it is the plus plan. With this the videos can be any length, are downloadable, and there are 30+ video styles. This seems like a great deal to me and a good option. Maybe you really like this and want even more creative room. Then there is the pro plan. It is 20.75 per month and include music and HD videos.


I made my comic on comix and you can see it here!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jana! I agreed with many things you said in your blog. Technology can be overwhelming and we are indeed lucky to have this class to help us. Overall, your post was really good. I would suggest some proofreading. Also, the link that is supposed to redirect you to the comic you created, does not work. It only takes you to MakeBeliefComix page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't think online learning should be all about citing your sources." No. But we must give credit where credit is due!

    "Dr. Strange, I think you should play this in one of the classes the first week!" I might run out of smelling salts!

    "These videos do make me want to make my own! I think it could be kind of an ice breaker, while providing useful information. One idea that popped into my head is that after I'm teaching get completely honest feedback from students on a survey. I will say things like, What do you think was pointless in this class?, What bad habit hurt you the most in this class?, etc. I will then show on the video the benefits of everything and why my classroom is set up the way it is. I think it could also give my students the message... It is okay to feel how you are feeling, others did too and they never gave up!" Project 16 perhaps?

    ReplyDelete