Thursday, February 7, 2013

Special Blog Post #1

WolframAlpha
I have to admit that I was one of the people who misinterpreted the data from the video Dr. Strange made. I was upset we had another assignment because of this, but I think I learned some useful things! We were asked to compare the populations of India, China , and the United States. India's population was 1.21 billion, China was 1.35 billion, and the United States population was 309 million people. I loved learning about the website WolframAlpha. It had so many educational and also fun facts. I can see it being very useful in my classroom one day. Not just for my use, but also my students. I conducted two more comparative searches. I wanted to know what was the smallest city in the U.S. and what was the largest city. The smallest city came back with 61 cities having no one living there and many only having one person. The largest city is New York City having 8.175 million people.

The Count
Gary Hayes social media account amazed. It has a total of people logging into facebook, tweeting, buying iPads, sent texts, how much the post office has made and many other things. I could not believe how high the numbers would rise. You can change the different time frames to see the number rise on different types of social media. Just in 5 seconds 200,000 likes and comments were made on facebook. I think this will have an amazing impact on me as a teacher. This website has opened my eyes as to just how much social media is in people's lives. When I start teaching I would guess the majority of my class will have phones, emails, and either a Twitter or Facebook. Instead of trying to fight my students from using these things I want to be creative and use this technology to my advantage of teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment