Saturday, February 2, 2013

Blog Post #3


Peer Editing:

       Paige Ellis' Blog assignment #12, the video, What is Peer Editing?, and the slide show, Peer edit with Perfection Tutorial, all had a common theme. While teaching us how to edit, they all give similar steps on how to edit. The first step is to give compliments. We are reading the work someone else just spent a lot of time on, there is no need to start off by bashing there work. Let them know what you liked about their writing. The second step is suggestions. We are all trying to make each other better writers, so if you see a way to make someone a better writer, I say go for it!. The last one is corrections. We are not perfect and our writing won't be all the time either. This step is to fix spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. Remember to always be nice and not negative!

       The video, Writing Peer Review TOP 10 Mistakes, was a funny video made by children, and show how to not peer review. Some of the stars in this video included Negative Nancy, Mean Margaret, and Picky Patty. This video shows that there is two sides of editing. The editor and the one receiving the positive criticism. The editor shouldn't be negative or picky and the receiver should fully listen and accept the help their getting. I think this video would be great to show in my future classroom!

       The classmate that I edited was Brittney Patrick. I found no spelling or grammatical errors. Her clarity was great and everything was organized. Everything I told her was very positive feedback. I loved her writing style and told her things that really made her writing stand out! In the future when I have to fix spelling errors or grammatical things I will leave them as a comment. We are all learners here and none of us are perfect, so I think it is appropriate to leave corrections in a comment. It also might help others as they write their own blogs.


Assistive Technologies:

       The Mountbatten seems like such a wonderful tool to to have for a specials needs students in the classroom! It is a very modern technology and gives student immediate feedback both audibly and tacitly. It also helps students be involved in more things in the classroom than just being left out. Most teachers are not taught braille and this will also help them tremendously.

       I want to be a teacher who can teach anyone, including the blind and deaf. It might be more challenging, but there is tons of new technology to help. I want to help the children hold prosperous futures. We have one way of thinking how to do things but as a teacher I will have to learn how to think outside of my normal comfort zone.These children deserve the education everyone else is getting.

       I found the video, Teaching Math To the Blind, to be very fascinating. It does make sense now but I never thought it would be harder for someone who is blind to struggle in math. This struggle can also limit the jobs they can get without the basic math needed. The grid seemed very interesting to me. It can help the blind set up math problems in a column formation and help then learn at least the basic algebra. This is a new technology i would love to have in my classroom. I would also like an iPad in my classroom. I never knew some of the things they did to help the blind. They can read books aloud to them and read things to them when they touch the screen. This seems very beneficial to have!


Vicki Davis:

      This was a very inspiring video. It also made me question what I watched in a video last week. The video said that we are preparing our students for jobs that don't even exist yet. How can we do that with only pencil and paper? Ms. Davis is doing a wonderful job at this I think, because you can see her students' so involved. I think they will learn with technology better because we are in such a tech savyy generation and it is more hands on.

       I would love to strive for this in my own classroom someday. The only downfall I see is the use of the cell phone. I know I am addicted to mine and couldn't focus with texting and Facebook looking right at me!



       




2 comments:

  1. "...that there is two sides of editing...." are, not is

    "...we are preparing our students for jobs that don't even exist yet. How can we do that with only pencil and paper?" We can't.

    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your feedback on the math tools. I had never thought about it before either. I also want to be a teacher that is able to teach other students. If you have access to an iPad, you should definitely change the settings just so you can see how it works for a blind student. It really is impressive.

    The only major concern I have as far as grammar is the same line Dr. Strange picked up on! Overall, a great post!

    ReplyDelete