Sunday, February 24, 2013

Project #10 Finding the Right Tool

Finding the Right Tool
TI- emulator

When asked to find technology we have not covered in EDM310, for use in our future classroom, I immediately asked myself, "What tools could have made learning more easier at that time for me?" I would like to teach math for middle school, so I thought back to this time in my life. One thing I always had trouble with, was a calculator! My teacher would give out directions once and we were expected to know it for every math problem. This caused lots of confusion in the class and lots of the same questions asked over and over again, until each student had seen it done on their own calculator. I decided to research on new advancements so I could cut down on confusion and time spent on calculator questions.

The technology that appealed to me the most was the TI-Emulator. This software will allow me to have the students calculator on my computer. I could then have it on a SmartBoard, where my whole class could see at one time exactly how to use their calculator. This cuts down on having to individually go to each student and show them what I am talking about. I can also have students do examples and show how they came up with their answer on their own calculator and make sure the process they are using is right!

1 comment:

  1. Jana,

    What a great idea for finding the right tool! Like you, I had a lot of problem with calculators growing up. Honestly, I still am not very educated on them. I know the basics and that about it. I explored the website you gave for the system and it seems really interesting. I would definitely consider using it in my classroom as well! Thanks for the idea! Keep up the great work and good luck with the rest of the semester! :)

    ReplyDelete